[tex-live] What is the right way to include eps in latex for pdf generating?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 17:33:35 CET 2014

> Hi.
> How to include eps (for example, produced by mpost) in latex for pdf generating? I use TexLive on GNU/Linux.
> Using trial-and-error method, I discovered that the following sequence works:
>
> # cat doc.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
> \begin{document}
> \includegraphics{graphic.1}
> \end{document}
> # latex doc.tex
> # dvipdfm doc.dvi
>
> But I wonder what is the right way of doing this? Is there any way to use "pdflatex" directly and not this ugly "latex + dvipdfm" sequence? Also, I want to know some theory, i. e. what is the right way and why it is
> ==
pdflatex can include them directly. The reason is that eps from mpost
use just a small subset of the PostScript language and pdf(la)tex is
able to generate a PDF from them, This is not true for other eps
files. In such a case you can either use the way you have found or
first convert the eps images to pdf by epstopdf and include the pdf
images. The key point is not to convert the images to a bitmap.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/