[tex-live] \typein bug in lualatex

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed May 21 00:10:40 CEST 2014

the file   lualatex-patch-kernel.tex patches \typein while making the
lualatex format but unfortunately the redefinition is incorrect. The
maintenance of teh file wasn't that clear to me so I'm reporting to the
tex-live ,ist.

if you enter # to a \typein prompt it is supposed to work but generates

\foo =#
! Illegal parameter number in definition of \foo.

with lualatex.

The following test file show one possible fixed definition  and tests the
above input

\makeatletter

\def\@xtypein[#1]#2{%
  \typeout{#2}%
  %%\advance\endlinechar\@M
  \begingroup \endlinechar\m at ne
  \read\@inputcheck to#1%
  \expandafter\endgroup
  \expandafter\edef\expandafter#1\expandafter
    {\expandafter\unexpanded\expandafter{#1}}%
%%%%%%%%%  \expandafter\def\expandafter#1\expandafter{#1}% doesn't allow #
  %%\advance\endlinechar-\@M
  \@typein}

\typein[\foo]{type here:}
\show \foo