[tex-live] Problem with pax.win32

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 30 22:35:54 CEST 2014

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>> Equally obvious answer : "In that case, Active Perl will not
>> be installed; if you require Active Perl (or any other Perl
>> implementation), you will need to download and install it
>> as a separate exercise".
>>
> And thus you will not be able to install at all because install-tl
> requires perl.

There is no reason at all why Siep's Perl should not continue
to accompany TeX Live; I am proposing that Active Perl should
accompany TeX Live /in addition/ to Siep's Perl.  Alternatively,
Siep's Perl could be installed in any installation for which
Active Perl could not.

> Do you think that violation of the software developer's license is
> pretty legal and respecting the developer's license is the act of
> racism? Are you prepared to go to the court of justice and persuade
> the judge that non-violating the license will be an act of racism and
> therefore TeX Live maintainers decide to violate the license?

It is not like you, Zdeněk, to resort to straw-man arguments such
as this and the one above; IF there are valid legal reasons why Active
Perl may not be legally included with TeX Live, yet may be legally
included with Diogenes, then let us hear those reasons; but please
do not set out to suggest that I am proposing that the developers
of TeX Live should act illegally.  I started this thread by pointing
out that Diogenes, itself under Gnu licence, appears to have no
problem in installing Active Perl at the same time as it installs
itself, and I asked -- perfectly reasonably, IMHO -- why TeX Live
should not do the same.

Philip Taylor