[tex-live] LuajitTeX / TeXLive 2014

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 21:44:05 CET 2014

Élie Roux <elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:

> First, in order for LuajitTeX to work with Plain and LaTeX in TeXLive,
> the following patch should be applied to [...]

i have been wondering whether the uk faq should mention this stuff...
but i've been unable to reconstruct (from info i've found on the web)
what i might say about it.

(jit copmpilation came into my life in the context of high performance
process control applications.  that doesn't seem, to me, to tally with
what a tex-alike would be doing.  indeed, i find a claim in one tex/sx
posting that luajittex runs slower than does luatex...)

if anyone can point me to an appropriate description, for me to work up
into one of my trivial "what is" faq answers ... well, i'll be really
grateful.

> Also, I'm wondering if LuajitTeX will be included in TeXLive 2014 now
> that it's fully part of LuaTeX repository? If so, will it be considered
> as an engine,

hah!  compiling on every tex live platform ... isn't starting such a
project in april a bit optimistic?

> with the corresponding commands and formats (dviluajitlatex, etc.)?

aaarrrgh.  another excuse to obfuscate command names.  we have enough
users confused by the ideas of different tex-alike engines, as things
stand ... will it never end?

robin
of the sore eyes.