[tex-live] [BUG] Upgrade-Description

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jun 29 01:44:39 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-28 at 20:07:08 +0200, moonkid at posteo.org wrote:

 > The description how to upgrade from 2013 to 2014 is buggy.
 >
 > There are two points missing.
 >
 > 1.
 > It is not clear which of the command need be run as root. And in point
 > of that it doesn't respect the fact, that "user" and "root" have
 > different PATH variables. Because of that...
 > Some command/scripts doesn't work as root because the binarys (e.g.
 > kpsewhich) are not found.
 > Some command/scripts doesn't work as user.
 >
 > 2.
 > On point 8 it is not enough description of what the commands there do.
 > What is kpsewhich? Ok, now I know. TEXMFSYSCONFIG give the wrong string
 > back. "texmf-config" doesn't work here. The "web2c" directory is under
 > "texmf-dist".
 >
 > Please fix it. It costs me hours of work to upgrade.

What should be fixed?  You are the only one who is unable to install
TeX Live.

 > It is not clear which of the command need be run as root.

If you installed TeX Live as root it's obvious that mortal users
aren't allowed to break the system.  What do you expect?

 > What is kpsewhich?

   kpsewhich --help
   man kpsewhich
   info kpsewhich
   texdoc kpsewhich

What else do you need?

 > Ok, now I know.

I doubt.

 > The "web2c" directory is under "texmf-dist"

Hopefully!

 > TEXMFSYSCONFIG give the wrong string back. "texmf-config" doesn't
 > work here. The "web2c" directory is under "texmf-dist".

What, on earth, do you want to achieve?  TEXMFSYSCONFIG is an internal
variable which shouldn't be touched at all.

 > It costs me hours of work to upgrade.

This is what you deserve if you don't follow the instructions because
you believe that you are smarter than everybody else.

It's a matter of fact that you are the only one world-wide who is
unable to install TeX Live properly.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25