[tex-live] [dvipdfmx] decorative initials

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Sun Jun 22 16:40:38 CEST 2014

Dear Bob Tennent,

> The following produces decorative initials using pdflatex,
> xelatex, latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf but not using
> latex -> dvipdfmx:

If I use "EBGaramond-Initials.otf" instead of  "EBGaramondInitials.pfb"
in the map file for dvipdfmx, I obtain decorative initials also in the
case of dvipdfmx:
EBGaramondInitials-tlf-ot1  ebgm_liamow  EBGaramond-Initials.otf
EBGaramondInitials-tlf-t1--base  ebgm_liamow  EBGaramond-Initials.otf
EBGaramondInitials-tlf-ly1--base  ebgm_liamow  EBGaramond-Initials.otf
(I'm using the original dvipdfmx-style map file).

Try
dvipdfmx -f test.map dvifile
here test.map is
EBGaramondInitials-tlf-ot1  ebgm_liamow  EBGaramond-Initials.otf
EBGaramondInitials-tlf-t1--base  ebgm_liamow  EBGaramond-Initials.otf
EBGaramondInitials-tlf-ly1--base  ebgm_liamow  EBGaramond-Initials.otf

I don't know reasons.

Thanks,
Akira