[tex-live] TeXLive 2014 - placement of Map files

P. P. Narayanaswami swami at mun.ca
Sun Jul 27 15:10:49 CEST 2014

I am trying to install malayalam and tamil omega/aleph in TeXLive 2014.
I find some changes from older versions of TeXLive, such as:
(i) texmf tree is merged with texmf-dist tree,
and (ii) the  location of the map file has also changed.
Please let me know if the following is the correct procedure,
or please correct me where I am wrong:

Put all files (fonts, .pfb, .tfm, ocp, otp etc etc) in
        /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/...
(or better, put all files in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local)

append all map entries in malayalam.map to
   texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
and run updmap-sys.
or, can I leave the malayalam.map file in /texmf-local/web2c directory?

I am puzzled how to add the map lines to
 texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg or to texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
The map file entries in malayalam.map look like
mlklr Keli-Regular <mlklr.pfb
mlr1r Ra1-Regular <<mlr1r.pfb
... ....  etc

whereas in /web2c/updmap.cfg, the lines look like
Map foo.map
Map foo2.map ....  etc

The instructions in updmap.cfg says:
# To make local customizations to the map files, using one of the
# following methods is simplest:
# 1) run
#       updmap-sys --enable Map=foo.map
#    for each map file.  (Or MixedMap instead of Map, if your font has
#    both Metafont and outline definitions.)  See the updmap --help
#    documentation. This will add lines to the updmap.cfg file in
#    TEXMFSYSCONFIG (creating it if necessary).
#
# 2) put all your additional fonts into TEXMFLOCAL, edit
#    TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap.cfg, and run updmap-sys.

Does it mean that for each of the entries in malayalm,map
I run  updmap-sys --enable Map=mlklr.map
...  etc?
Kindly enlighten me on the placement of map entries.