[tex-live] (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jul 19 00:04:21 CEST 2014

Hi Ulrike,

    There are also map-entries which uses otf:
    md-grbr7m GFSBodoni-Regular " AutoEnc_py5znvjh3poy4qksuktslsc7kc
    ReEncodeFont " <[a_py5znv.enc <<GFSBodoni.otf

I see.  That's part of mathdesign, not gfsbodoni, hence I didn't see it.
(And I highly doubt that using the .otf is required here, but I've
raised enough issues with the mathdesign author already that I'm not
going to add to them unless there is some evidence of movement.)
Anyway.

    1. that (x)dvipdfmx gives errors when the <<-syntax is used.

Ack.

    2. that (x)dvipdfmx can't load otf-fonts through map-entries even if
    the "<"-syntax is used.

I don't see that problem (which would be tantamount to *fmx not
supporting otf fonts at all).  Given input tryot.tex:

\nopagenumbers
% let's set up a test for partial download of otf, since none in map file.
\special{pdf:mapline md-grbbi7m GFSBodoni-BoldItalic " AutoEnc_rl4tn2dr7yl7pvjznhtbna64dc ReEncodeFont " <[a_rl4tn2.enc <GFSBodoniBoldIt.otf}
\font\test = md-grbbi7m        % fully downloads .otf from map file

\test K
\end

I run
  tex tryot
  dvipdfmx tryot.dvi
and the result is a tryot.pdf (with the font partially embedded).

If you're thinking of your previous mail about SkakNew-Figurine
(http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2014-June/035488.html), that's a
different case altogether.

Thanks,