[tex-live] Minitoc documentation size

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 23:10:14 CEST 2014

Nils Ole Tippenhauer <nils_tippenhauer at sutd.edu.sg> wrote:

> I am writing to suggest some changes to the minitoc package. CTAN lists
> Jean-Pierre Drucbert as maintainer, bu he passed away in 2009. Minitoc
> contains documentation that takes a lot of space, see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/texlive-extra/+bug/822828
>
> For example, there is a minitoc-fr.pdf file (~27Mb size) as part of the
> package, that is bloated with maps of countries and flags.

it is totally crazy, imo, but i failed to ask permission from
jean-pierre, before he died, to make a slimline version.

> Unfortunately, the package is automatically recommended (i.e.
> practically installed) for all Debian/Ubuntu users.
>
> Is it possible to remove some of the content from the minitoc
> documentation in tex-live, or should I try talking to CTAN directly?

i don't believe it's possible simply to trim the megabloat, and retain a
coherent document.  most of the bloat is the interminable flags and bits
of map, and similar, but they're woven into the text.

if i can persuade myself (as a ctan manager ;-) that what i'll do is
legitimate, it will enter my "retirement" to-do list, for working on
some time later than 29 october.

but beware, i'm a slow worker...

robin