[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Josef Kleber josef.kleber at gmx.de
Mon Jul 7 11:48:36 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 07.07.2014 06:24, schrieb Norbert Preining:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>>  From your mail I deduce that you aren't happy with the answers you
>> got.  But UTF-8 works fine for me, Zdeněk, and maybe everybody else
>> except you.  Can you tell us *what* doesn't work for you?
>
> Reinhard, please, give him a break. There seems to be a bug
> wrt to latin1 handling when it comes to command line and file
> treatment.

I think there is really a problem. While adding support for Google Maps
for my getmap package
(https://bitbucket.org/kleberj/getmap/raw/ee40738fc90e492745f2228cac8fbd397a592653/dev/scripts/getmap/gmimage.lua),
i encountered problems with non-UTF-8 command line options:

texlua gmimage.lua -M "&markers=color:green|label:D|Pergamon
Museum,Berlin&markers=color:blue|label:S|Bode Museum,Berlin" -C
"James-Simon-Park,Berlin" -P "&path=weight:7|color:purple|Bode
Museum,Berlin|Pergamon Museum,Berlin|Neues
Museum,Berlin|James-Simon-Park,Berlin|Henriette-Herz-Platz,Berlin&path=weight:7|color:brown|Simon-James-Park,Berlin|Weinmeisterstraße,Berlin"
-V "Brandenburger Tor,Berlin"

fails (only the last path is absent) because of ß in Weinsteinstraße,
whereas

texlua gmimage.lua -M "&markers=color:green|label:D|Pergamon
Museum,Berlin&markers=color:blue|label:S|Bode Museum,Berlin" -C
"James-Simon-Park,Berlin" -P "&path=weight:7|color:purple|Bode
Museum,Berlin|Pergamon Museum,Berlin|Neues
Museum,Berlin|James-Simon-Park,Berlin|Henriette-Herz-Platz,Berlin&path=weight:7|color:brown|Simon-James-Park,Berlin|Weinmeisterstrasse,Berlin"
-V "Brandenburger Tor,Berlin"

works (only ASCII). I tracked the problem down to a different encoding
of ß to Weinmeisterstra%dfe (lua) or Weinmeisterstra%C3%9Fe (bash
version + wget).

Strangely, that even does not work when calling texlua from bash
(Cygwin), which uses UTF-8.

Running texlua (Windows) with an utf-8-encoded script does not seem to
be a problem, but handing over command line options is! I wonder if the
first texlua call does work on Linux and/or MiKTeX. Can somebody test?

Josef