[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Klaus Ethgen Klaus+texlivelist at Ethgen.ch
Sat Jul 5 12:10:59 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am Sa den  5. Jul 2014 um  5:49 schrieb TANAKA Takuji:
> (2014/07/04 17:32), Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> >The program has to use a system call to find the filesystem encoding
> >and convert the filename from the filesystem encoding to the program's
> >internal encoding or vice versa.
> I agree that this is the root cause.

Yes. Most likely.

> In my understanding, the current situation is as follows.

[Analysises of the problem]

Thanks, that is a very helpful analysis (However, it does not solve the
problem, but it might be a point from where to go further.)

> [A] Develop to support filename conversion from the filesystem encoding to the internal encoding (UTF-8).
> I do not agree since regacy encoding is obsolete.

Why to convert it at all? Its the same encoding (or no encoding) on the
command line and the file system. Wouldn't it be better to just pass
that names from one subsystem (the commandline parsing) to other (open
the (initial) input file) without changing the encoding at all? Using
»unsigned char *« inside the software?

That would solve the problem and would be more obvious to the user in
any usecases. (With UTF-8 the there is also no conversion to be done.
It can also fill inside a unsigned char string.)

> [B] Switch the file system and LOCALE from regacy encoding to UTF-8

Too much trouble. And I will not go into details. One part of the detail
is that I don't like UTF-8 personal. :-)

> I hear "convmv" helps such work.

Partly. It even helps way around to have beautiful names from UTF-8
strings in a latin1 environment. :-)

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <Klaus at Ethgen.de>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C