[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 10:32:33 CEST 2014

>>  > Thats true. While latin1 can include every possible character, UTF-8
>>  > cannot. (possible as possible to have on the wire)
>
>> You misunderstood.  The opposite is true.  UTF-8 (Unicode) supports
>> all characters, Latin1 is a simple 8-bit encoding which supports only
>> Western European languages (except French).
>
> I think he means that in an utf8 encoded file some byte combinations
> are not allowed.
>
> But the main question is why lualatex and xelatex in TeXLive can't
> handle (probably only non-utf8) file names with non-ascii chars *on
> the terminal*. I can reproduce his problem on Win7:

The program has to use a system call to find the filesystem encoding
and convert the filename from the filesystem encoding to the program's
internal encoding or vice versa. I am not sure whether it can be done
in lua but definitely not on macro level. You can do it only on 8-bit
TeX engine because it does not understand utf-8 and any byte can be
made valid (by changing \catcode).

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/