[tex-live] On Windows, install TL for all users by default

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu Jan 30 21:44:09 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:03:16AM +0100, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le jeudi 30/01/14 à 09h48,
> Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> a écrit :
>
> >  and point to the advanced installer for a multi user installation.
>
> This would require to reactivate this option that has disappeared from
> the advanced installer (since TL 2013 I guess).

NO NO NO! The advanced installer warns about this, and has a
multiuser option when started with admin rights.

Please double-check your claims before wasting our time! (Same for
wrong claim about double dviout menu entries).

<rant>
Supporting TeX under windows is like pushing a round peg in a square
hole: there will always be problems. All we can do is picking our
poison.

It does not help that Windows users are not encouraged to understand
their system. Microsoft goes to infinite lengths to second-guess
naive users and spare them surprises, so that we in our turn have to
second-guess both Microsoft and those naive users.

The virtual store, with a fake program files directory and a fake
HKLM registry tree for programs that thoughtlessly assume admin
permissions without actually having them is a particularly heinous
example. We have bumped into this in the past, which is what Norbert
referred to in a previous mail from this thread.

And file types are another horror story. From time to time Microsoft
adds another layer to the mess to paper over the problems that are
already there.
</rant>

--
Siep Kroonenberg