[tex-live] Install file of the TL should have unique name

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Jan 10 12:58:47 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:21:21PM +0100, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le jeudi 09/01/14 à 20h09,
> Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> a écrit :
>
> > I agree with Philip, it is a really annoying Win feature.
>
> I agree as well!
>
> > I change it on our users computer whenever they come by.
>
> Yes, but with computers on their own?
>
> > As far as making the file names unique, I do not think it is possible
> > at the moment due to the manner in which the .bat file calls
> > install-tl
>
> Sigh...
>
> > But you should easily be able to tell them apart even without the
> > extensions. Windows would be able to identify .bat files.
>
> As said, it wasn't that clear to me (IIRC, in the "type" column of the
> .bat file was written something like "Windows commands file")
> --
> Denis

We are going to change it, at least for the next release. It
involves only a minor change in the code of install-tl.bat.

I agree that hiding extensions is a horrible misfeature - copied
from Mac OS, by the way. But our educational efforts amount to only
a drop in the ocean, so I have decided years ago just meet the
expectations of Windows users where possible. It just never occurred
to me that the multiple install-tl files might be a problem,
although in hindsight it is obvious.

--
Siep Kroonenberg