[tex-live] No cont-nl.fmt in Tex Live 2013

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 16:12:21 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Peter Van Kranenburg wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> In Tex Live 2013 (mac) I can't compile context documents with Dutch
> commands:
>
> ----test-nl.tex-----
> \starttekst
> Dit is tekst.
> \stoptekst
> --------------------
>
> ----command line----
> pvk$ texexec test-nl.tex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-nl.fmt
> I can't find the format file `cont-nl.fmt'!
>
> pvk$ locate cont-nl.fmt
> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/cont-nl.fmt
> --------------------
>
> Apparently cont-nl.fmt is needed, but the only file with that name in my
> file system seems to belong to Tex Live 2011.
>
> In Tex Live 2012 everything was OK.
>
> Could anyone advise me what to do? How to build cont-nl format? I couldn't
> find this in the context documentation either.

In principle this should also work:
    texexec --make nl
but that's the way it's implemented in the standalone ConTeXt
distribution. TeX Live should generate the format automatically.
Indeed it says "Running mktexfmt cont-nl.fmt", but apparently it fails
and I didn't try to debug yet. Maybe some code has been rewritten and
nobody ever tested the disabled formats.

It makes sense not to build the Dutch format by default (it prolongs
installation time and only serves a very tiny fraction of users), but
the format is listed in context.tlpsrc
(/usr/local/texlive/2013/tlpkg/tlpobj/context.tlpobj), so it should
work on request.

(You can also switch to MKIV, that one will generate the format automatically.)

Mojca

PS: in case anyone else wants to test, you might want to use
     texexec --interface=nl test.tex