[tex-live] OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 10:50:04 CET 2014

> On 2014-02-24 at 22:08:49 +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I thought about the problem once again and now I believe that I
>  > understand the source of the problem. The reason is that pdftex is
>  > unable to use non-latin scripts in outlines.
>
> It actually has nothing to do with pdfTeX.
>
> Robin already explained that you can't expect Cyrillic glyphs in a PDF
> file if the font you are using doesn't support Cyrillic.  And it's a
> matter of fact that Latin Modern doesn't support Cyrillic.

I see the very same error message as Mario even if a correct font is
found. The problem occurs when hyperref is trying to send the section
name to the outlines. If I use \texorpdfstring to use Cyrillic in the
section title and Latin in outlines, everything works. The inputenc
package converts the input to active bytes and these active bytes are
parts of multibyte characters. They are probably expanded at a wrong
time. Moeover, I am not sure whether hyperref in pdftex inserts
automatically BOM to the beginning of the unicode strings. Not finding
the font is another issue. Anyway, I took Mario's sample files and it
shows Cyrillic on my computer (although in a bitmap font) if I do not
send the Cyrillic text to the outlines.

>  >> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
>  >> \usepackage[T2A,T1]{fontenc}
>  >> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>  >> \usepackage{lmodern}
>  >> \usepackage[american,russian,italian]{babel}
>  >> \usepackage{tipa}
>  >> \usepackage[babel,italian=guillemets]{csquotes}
>
> This can never work.
>
> Why did everybody ignore Robin's mail?  It was by far the most helpful
> mail in the whole discussion.
>
> You simply can't typeset Cyrillic without a Cyrillic font.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz