[tex-live] OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Feb 25 01:32:55 CET 2014

On 2014-02-24 at 22:08:49 +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I thought about the problem once again and now I believe that I
 > understand the source of the problem. The reason is that pdftex is
 > unable to use non-latin scripts in outlines.

It actually has nothing to do with pdfTeX.

Robin already explained that you can't expect Cyrillic glyphs in a PDF
file if the font you are using doesn't support Cyrillic.  And it's a
matter of fact that Latin Modern doesn't support Cyrillic.

 >> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
 >> \usepackage[T2A,T1]{fontenc}
 >> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
 >> \usepackage{lmodern}
 >> \usepackage[american,russian,italian]{babel}
 >> \usepackage{tipa}
 >> \usepackage[babel,italian=guillemets]{csquotes}

This can never work.

Why did everybody ignore Robin's mail?  It was by far the most helpful
mail in the whole discussion.

You simply can't typeset Cyrillic without a Cyrillic font.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25