[tex-live] OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 24 10:46:16 CET 2014

apache is a red herring, here.

the problem is trying to use lm fonts for encoding t2<anything>

the lm fonts only support latin alphabets.

> LaTeX Font Info:    Try loading font information for T2A+lmr on input
> line 2.
> LaTeX Font Info:    No file T2Almr.fd. on input line 2.
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T2A/lmr/bx/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `T2A/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 2.

as you see, there's no information for using cyrillic (t2a in this case)
with latex.

it's a bore.  i don't actually know of a type 1 font family that does
the lot.  opentype fonts tend to do both latin and cyrillic from the
same font file, but they require a different version of latex (xelatex
for stability, or lualatex).

i've heard of using latex on the web, but not xelatex.

note that this is _not_ a tex live sort of question -- witness the fact
that you've been asking so long and still don't have an answer.

i shan't recommend anywhere else to ask, since last time i did, i was
told (rather forcefully) that my suggestion was unsatisfactory.  (it's a
mug's game, answering questions on mailing lists...)

robin fairbairns.