[tex-live] Tex Live Utility Help - For Mac

Krishnamurthy, Nishanth nk08d at my.fsu.edu
Fri Feb 14 20:31:32 CET 2014

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Nish Krishnamurthy and I’m a graduate student at Florida State University where I’m using LaTex (MacTex) to write my dissertation. I’m having issues with the Tex Live Utility updating itself. Specifically, whenever I open TeX Live Utility on my Macbook to see the different packages I have installed, this warning pops up:

Repository URL has a newer TeX Live version. Your TeX Live version is 2012, but your default repository URL appears to be for TeX Live 2013.  You need to manually upgrade to a newer version of TeX Live, as there will be no further updates for your version.

So when I choose “upgrade”, it takes me to this page (http://tug.org/texlive/) from where I click and download the “install-fl-unx.tar.gz” installation file for Mac. Then after unzipping that file, opening the “install-tl” execution file, and finally choosing “Install to hard disk” after the terminal window opens, this message appears:

Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/2013
/Users/Nishka/Downloads/install-tl-20140206/install-tl: mkdir(/usr/local/texlive/2013/) failed, goodbye: Permission denied
logout

Being able to upgrade to the latest version of TeX Live is important so that I’m able to use the latest packages for my dissertation (like pgfplots). I would therefore appreciate any help and/or assistance you might be able to give in order to help me install/update the latest version of TeX Live Utility for my Macbook. Thank you very much.

Best,

Nish Krishnamurthy