[tex-live] How does pdflatex call mktexpk on windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Aug 8 00:37:38 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-07 at 14:51:46 +0000, Lars Madsen wrote:

 > Hi, just had an interesting isssue with a Windows user using
 > texstudio
 >
 > He just installed TL14 and complained that one of his old files did
 > no longer compile in TeXStudio
 >
 > It turns that the standard path towards the files through his
 > mounted file system ended up giving him a UNC path to the file (TS
 > shows "\\servername\path\test.tex" in the titlebar)
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > I'm suspecting a call to cmd.exe or similar, which woule explaing
 > the failure as cmd.exe does not support UNC paths.

Hi Lars,
I assume that cmd.exe inherits its bahavior from msvcrt.dll, hence I
expect that C programs which are using the fopen() function defined in
msvcrt.dll don't support UNC paths either.

BTW, the source code of msvcrt.dll looks quite DOSish and has not
been changed for decades.  It obviously predates UNC paths.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de