[tex-live] texlive 2014 Comments. -- Overly complex and difficult to install on RedHat/Fedora !! --

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Aug 6 17:42:05 CEST 2014

Hi Andre,

we surely would like to help you, but the information you
are providing is sooo minimal that one can only ignore your
request unless you send more details.

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014, Andre Gompel wrote:
>    I did set the PATH as usual (this seems to work), but there is more.
> (where I probably have a problem)

And what is this *more*?

>    Now I am in "environment variables hell"

No need for environment variables besides adjustment of the PATH.
Please be a bit more specific.

>    Of course, I do know how to debug and fix this... and I will.

Ah, well, you could enlighten us what was the problem?

>    However could I suggest that a simple install procedure for the most
> popular Linuxes (today Ubuntu+derivatives) and Red-Hat derivative be
> available.

It is there, it has been followed many many times, and it has proven
quite stable over the last N years (for N >= 10)

>    Could I also suggest that mixing Window/Mac/Linux  install in the
> same documentation is not such a great idea : makes everything bulkier
> and harder to read than necessary.

THere are hardly any differences between Win and Unix in terms of the
actual installer, besides that there are a few different options.

>    For myself (technical guy) I would be happy to have a manual install.

What do you mean with *manual install*. A guidance like:
* copy this here and there
* do this and that

Well, yes, this is possible, but not trivial.

>    But for many non-technical Latex users, a seamless and simple install
> which works "straight out of the box" would be great, GUI or NOT.

It does.

>    Ideally a distro package doing exactly this would be he best !'

There are distro packages for most linux distros nowadays, and
as far as I see most of them are up-to-date.

>    Let me know, if and how I could help.

Sure, very simple, be more specific instead of venting too much
hot air about your long years of experience.

As long as you do not provide *any* information to track down the
source of the problem, there is no substance.

Enjoy

Norbert