[tex-live] Install failed on Windows 8 (*.win32 packages involved)

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sun Apr 20 11:31:41 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 10:08:13PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     > If you have, it tries 100 times with delay from 0.01sec to 1 sec.
>
> Does it actually fix the problem?  The quoting is hard to follow, but I
> gather Siep was doubtful that it was really a timing issue in the first
> place.

That was about another problem: deleting registry entries. Adding a
delay did not solve the problem. But this was in TLWinGoo. I think I
should try also repeated attempts here.

Researching another Windows Failure-to-delete problem, I found the
following page:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1753209/deletefile-fails-on-recently-closed-file/1753662

Here, sqlite is mentioned as trying repeatedly up to a maximum
number to delete the file.

There is also a comment that the kernel may hang on to a file even
if it has been released by everybody else.

In short: to me the proposed patch looks perfectly in line with how
one generally deals with Windows' shortcomings.

--
Siep Kroonenberg