[tex-live] Outstanding question about Hebrew and Greek hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 00:07:12 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:

> E:\CTAN>c:rsync -a -v --progress --delete
> rsync://rsync.tex.ac.uk/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/ .
>
> This is pulling in hundreds, if not thousands, of files for
> architectures in which I have negative interest.  Is it possible
> to make that incantation pull in only generic files and those
> targetted specifically at Windows (32-bit or 64-bit) ?

rsync -av --exclude '*x86_64-darwin.tar.xz' ... etc.
(or write an exclude file listing all)

>> The problem is that different people have different requirements.  At
>> a first glance it sounds reasonable to have an installation scheme
>> "Plain TeX" but those who are using XeTeX or LuaTeX probably prefer to
>> rely solely on system fonts while others need all the fonts provided
>> by TeX Live.  Hence it's not possible to create a scheme for Plain TeX
>> users which satisfies the needs or expectations of all of them.
>
> Well, is that true ?  As a 99% XeTeX user, I have no problem with
> acquiring 76 Computer Modern fonts plus Latin Modern and whatever
> other Metafont-based fonts are in TeX Live.  They, in comparison
> to the unbelievably large number of LaTeX packages, will take little
> time and take up little space.

During installation you can select the small (or even minimal) scheme
and/or select just the collections that are intersting  for you. This
is a minimal amount of work. If you need another package you can
always install that one later (just don't complain why it wasn't part
of the minimal scheme ;).

Mojca