[tex-live] Package preparation question (directory structure)

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Sep 4 17:51:20 CEST 2013

Am Wed, 4 Sep 2013 17:20:15 +0200 schrieb Urs Liska:

> And where do distributions get their files from, the main directory or
> the .tds file?

I don't know how miktex handles it if a tds exists beside a main
directory, but I think a (correct) tds would at least help to avoid
packaging errors. And it would make it much more easier for you to
describe the installation: You only need to write "put the files in
a texmf tree as shown in the tds.zip" ;-).

>>>           o scripts
>> put them in a scripts/ subdirectory,
> OK
>> and point the user at them, in the
>> docs.  *don't* set the "executable" bit in files you upload.
>
> That is, I have to write: "You find the scripts in the
> /scripts/lilyglyphs directory of your TeX installation. Please set the
> executable bit yourself and maybe put that to your search path"?

Normally the distributions provides wrappers for scripts. E.g.
miktex creates a makeglossaries.exe which then calls perl
makeglossaries.pl. But the user still has to install the script
language first.

(And a normal windows user will probably not understand "set
executable bit").

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/