[tex-live] tlmgr invokes cc on OS X

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnnl.gov
Tue Oct 29 17:37:07 CET 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 08:57, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> If Karl agrees, if it is easy to do and if invoking the compiler makes
> problems on newer OSes (I didn't install 10.9 yet), I definitely
> support the idea to avoid calling config.guess on Macs. The
> config.guess script doesn't return anything useful on Mac anyway, so
> it's already useless.

I just looked at config.guess in more detail. Checking for 64-bit
by compiling seems nonsensical, since Apple's compiler is basically a
cross-compiler. If there's already a special case for Darwin, using
sysctl would be better, IMNSHO.

If I set CC_FOR_BUILD, I can force config.guess not to run this check.

$ CC_FOR_BUILD=no_compiler_found /usr/local/texlive/2013/tlpkg/installer/config.guess
i386-apple-darwin12.5.0

vs.

$ /usr/local/texlive/2013/tlpkg/installer/config.guess
x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0

It also works if I set CC_FOR_BUILD=/bin/false or pretty much anything
that's not a C compiler. I'll have to test this on 10.9 when I get home,
but it should be a good enough workaround for me.

Users who invoke tlmgr on the command line will still see the problem,
of course, so it would be nice to eventually fix that.

Adam