[tex-live] tlmgr invokes cc on OS X

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Wed Nov 6 09:39:13 CET 2013

On Wednesday 2013-11-06 00:26, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>The role of config.guess should be figuring out what architecture we
>are compiling *for* (that could easily be i386 or ppc even on x86_64).

This has come up before on the config-patches list[1]. config.guess's
job is not to tell you what you are compiling for, but what the
system type is.
[1]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/config-patches/2013-10/msg00026.html
Therefore,

>if that same user then tries to
>compile an arbitrary software from sources on the very same hardware
>and software and specifies either
>    CXX=powerpc-apple-darwin10-g++-4.0
>or
>    CXXFLAGS="-arch ppc"
>then I would expect from config.guess to return
>powerpc-apple-darwin10.x.y, not x86_64-apple-darwin10.x.y. (This is
>not the case and I consider this a bug in config.guess, actually.)

is not going to change the output of config.guess, and is not meant
to.