[tex-live] #! Map ... in updmap.cfg

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Thu May 30 13:15:40 CEST 2013

 >|> I'm trying to figure out why the texlive font packages in Fedora
 >|> don't properly create entries in psfonts.map and pdftex.map when
 >|> they are installed. Immediately after installation of, say,
 >|> texlive-ebgaramond,
 >|
 >|What programs are called by the Fedora packages?

sed -i '/^Map EBGaramond.map/d' /usr/share/texlive/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
echo "Map EBGaramond.map" >> /usr/share/texlive/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

/usr/bin/texhash
/usr/bin/updmap-sys --syncwithtrees --nohash --quiet

 >|> grep EBGaramond `kpsewhich updmap.cfg`
 >|>
 >|> returns
 >|>
 >|> #! Map EBGaramond.map
 >|> Map EBGaramond.map
 >|>
 >|> that is, the relevant map file is both disabled and enabled.  But
 >|
 >|That is probably a bug in the Fedora scripts?
 >|
 >|> If updmap-sys is then executed, the relevant entries are created.
 >|
 >|> The posttrans script for the package executes
 >|> /usr/bin/updmap-sys --syncwithtrees
 >|
 >|(I *really* should write that article how to package TeX Live, that
 >|is rubbish what they are doing ...)
 >|
 >|Yes, --syncwithtree is not enough, it needs a run of
 >|	updmap-sys
 >|afterwards.
 >|
 >|This is even documented in the source code, updmap.pl, at the end
 >|of the syncwithtree option
 >|      # the original script did not run any update of the map files here,
 >|      # should we do that?
 >|
 >|Did anyone of the Fedora guys actually tested these scripts?

Mea culpa.  This was likely the result of my suggesting in an earlier
bug report that updmap-sys --syncwithtrees should be used "when texlive
is installed".  I never got round to testing the updates until I noticed
a user question at stackexchange.

Bob T.

P.S. "the Fedora guys" is essentially one guy who has taken on
the monumental task of packaging all of texlive to replace the
texlive-2007 which Fedora and RHEL users had available earlier.