[tex-live] Why is "create symlinks in standard directories" option hidden?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun May 19 16:28:46 CEST 2013

2013/5/19 Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr>:
> Le dimanche 19/05/13 à 21h07,
> Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> a écrit :
>
>> Because we do NOT recommend using it.
>
> If so, why providing it?
>
> AFAICS, it is very convenient: no post-install configuration needed,
> same process with every shell, everything works out of the box, etc.
> What are the drawbacks?

There are two drawbacks:
1. Linux often installs its own TeX even if it is not asked to do ti.
If you make symlinks both TeX distributions are badly mixed and
produce wierd errors.

2. You cannot have several TL versions installed in parallel. If an
important document compiled in an old version but does not compile in
the current version and you have no time to search the source of the
compatibility problem, there is no way back.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/