[tex-live] [autoinst]: doesn't generate Type1

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Thu May 16 03:36:55 CEST 2013

 >|when I apply autoinst from tl pretest to the OpenType MinionPro
 >|files shipped with Adobe Reader it does not generate the Type1
 >|fonts. autoinst in TL12 did.

That isn't my experience. It's actually cfftot1 of the lcdftypetools
package that generates Type 1 fonts and if there are errors or even
warnings, autoinst won't save the fonts. If I apply cfftot1 in
TeXLive 2012 to the MinionPro fonts from the Adobe Reader, I get the
following messages:

cfftot1: glyph 'z': warning: complex flex hint replaced with curves
cfftot1: (This Type 2 format font contains flex hints prohibited by Type 1.
cfftot1: I've safely replaced them with ordinary curves.)

so these may be the culprits.

cfftot1 does generate Type1 fonts, but then the t1lint tool
generates the following messages when applied to them:

MinionPro-Bold.pfb: warning: BlueShift not an integer
MinionPro-Regular.pfb: warning: BlueShift not an integer

These can be fixed using fontforge.

I don't have a system with TeXLive 2013 pretest at hand but I doubt
that the behaviour of autoinst there is different from TeXLive 2012,
though it's always possible cfftot1 is different.

Bob T.