[tex-live] new babel in TL

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 9 00:22:47 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Javier Bezos wrote:
> Mojca,
>
>> That's perfect. But before I do that it would be great if I was at
>> least able to do the most basic test. I have:
>> - problems with wrong quotations (easy to work around)
>
> Which ones?

http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-May/033501.html
http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-May/033506.html

The patch works for me (testing on cats fails for other reasons), but
I don't dare touching any code in TeX Live core, so somebody needs to
apply that patch first. (It's not critical though. The other problem
is way more serious.)

>> - some babel files are in doc instead of tex (easy to move)

This has also been fixed (temporarily) by Kakuto-san. Most probably
Karl also needs to patch the script that fetches files from CTAN (and
also remove files from doc). But at least it should compile.

>> - as reported by Stephan Hennig, Babel has problems with lualatex
>> (which I don't know how to solve):
>>
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage[english]{babel}
>> \begin{document}
>> \end{document}
>
> Works for me. The log file he has posted says
>
>   LuaTeX adaptation of babel <v3.8m-luatex-1.5>
>
> It seems he's using an old hyphen.cfg.

I tried to remove hyphen.cfg from hyph-utf8 altogether, but then
format generation fails (I hope that not just because of spaces) with:

=====================================
("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/preload.cfg"
("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/preload.ltx"))
page nos., x-ref, environments, center, verbatim, math definitions, boxes,
title, sectioning, contents, floats, footnotes, index, bibliography, output,
Local configuration file hyphen.cfg used
("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg"
("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/luababel.def")
("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/switch.def")
("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyphen/hyphen.tex")
! LuaTeX error [string "\directlua "]:1: attempt to index global 'luatexhyphen'
(a nil value)
stack traceback:
[string "\directlua "]:1: in main chunk.
\bbl at hook@everylanguage ...{\string #1}') == nil)}
                                                  \ifnum 0=\directlua {tex.s...
l.174   \repeat

("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyphen/dumyhyph.tex")
! LuaTeX error [string "\directlua "]:1: attempt to index global 'luatexhyphen'
(a nil value)
stack traceback:
[string "\directlua "]:1: in main chunk.
\bbl at hook@everylanguage ...{\string #1}') == nil)}
                                                  \ifnum 0=\directlua {tex.s...
l.174   \repeat

("/Users/mojca/app/tex/tl/i 2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyphen/zerohyph.tex"))
Applying patch file ltpatch.ltx

I gladly fix the files in hyph-utf8 (or remove them), I'm just not sure how.

I'm going to bed now. If anyone figures out how to solve the problem
in the next few hours before TeX Live gets rebuild, feel free to
commit any patches to texmf-dist/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8 in TeX Live. (I
would already delete the file now, but since it doesn't seem to help
[or I don't know how to test] ...)

Mojca