[tex-live] xdvi not in texlive 2013 for Windows

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 10:12:10 CEST 2013

Lester Ingber <ingber at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

[following lars madsen saying switch from xdvi]

> Lars:That is not the issue.  In fact, I do use pdflatex.  However,
> when I produce a dvi file I'd like to look at it.

reasonable enough.  fwiw, i always `proof' stuff using latex/xdvi, and
switch to pdf for final checking/publication.  there's masses of code in
my stuff kicks in under pdftex, and runs like the proverbial drain.

> Why does texlive has config files and placeholders for xdvi?  They
> should be removed.

"under windows" implied here -- xdvi is working in my tl'13

to first order, istm that xdvi should not be loaded under windows unless
explicitly asked for.  whether this is possible under the config
mechanisms of tl i just don't know (i've enough on understanding tex to
the extent i need to ... that config system looks a nightmare, and i've
never examined it in detail ...  and probably never will, now).

robin
starting to feel retirement happy (only slightly more than a year to go!)