[tex-live] Why does texhash write expected output to STDERR?

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Sat Jul 6 02:42:51 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Usually a program sends a valuable output to STDOUT so as it could be
> passed by a pipe to another program, diagnostic output goes to STDERR.
> I think that the texhash messages belong to the second class, ie
> STDERR is the right place.

I see what you mean when there is a lot of output, but the output of
texhash is usually "small" and is very manageable. In this case, I
don't think there is a need to distinguish expected output from
diagnostic messages. But since this appears to be a personal
preference and it has been this way for a while, I will not insist.

Thank you for the replies,

Scott