[tex-live] texmf-dist -> texmf for TL'13

Munehiro Yamamoto munepixyz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:44:23 CET 2013

Dear Karl Berry,

This is my first post for [tex-live] ML.

I'm a core member of Vine Linux http://vinelinux.org/, in a supreme
Linux distribution
with integrated Japanese environment, making Vine Linux provide the
most enriched
built-in Japanese TeX environment.
Recently, I also contribute Darwin binaries for tlptexlive
http://tutimura.ath.cx/ptexlive/?tlptexlive%A5%EA%A5%DD%A5%B8%A5%C8%A5%EA ,
which is maintained by Norbert-san.
So, I am so much interested in this topic :-)

2013/1/25 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
> For TL 2013, we have been contemplating merging texmf-dist back into
> texmf, so there would once again be a single tree.
>
> The original idea of texmf-dist was to be the "TeX tree" sharable among
> (TeX, not operating system) distributions, while texmf would be the
> binaries and other distribution-specific files.

That is a great idea.  If this idea is comitted,
we simply can package/provide TeX Live environment as distro. packages.
Indeed, I think if we distribute enough TeX Live environment as
distro. packages,
we need the following stages:
 * distribution wide from the main tree of TeX Live and distro.'s customizations
 * system wide from the local tree of system maintenance
 * per user from home user's tree,
where per user settings override system wide settings,
and system wide settings override distribution wide settings.

Best,
Munehiro
--
山本 宗宏 Munehiro "munepi" Yamamoto