[tex-live] small bug re installing x86_64-darwin vs. universal-darwin

tljack at forallx.net tljack at forallx.net
Mon Jan 21 21:00:22 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 02:50:13AM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> The problem is that uname has different command line options and
> provides different output on differnt Unix systems.  config.guess is
> aware of these peculiarities and always provides reliable results.

What is wrong with only calling uname once Mac-ness has been detected?
Then one can simply do:

 uname -r

which reveals a number corresponding to the Darwin version, and then the
script knows what version of OSX we're on.  It is like this all the way
back to 10.4, therefore it is safe on all officially supported OSX
versions.

Then x86_64 can be set if the number reveals (Mountain) Lion, and
universal-darwin can be set otherwise.

Then there's no worry about potential clashing with MacTeX stuff.

--Jack