[tex-live] fonts in tex-live in pkgsrc

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Wed Jan 16 00:43:03 CET 2013

Norbert, thanks for considering my request.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> first of all, this is a mailing list for the development of TeX Live,
> so we will not be able to help you much in your private endeavours.
>
> ANyway, let us try:
>
> On Di, 08 Jan 2013, George Georgalis wrote:
>> I'm using the pkgsrc packaged version of latex and tex-helvetic, but
>
> Whatever that might be. Can you be a bit more specific?
> Operating system, distribution, which version of TeX Live.

First off, this is not a private endeavor. I am using pkgsrc which is is a
framework for building third-party software on NetBSD and other UNIX-like
systems, currently containing over 12000 packages. My target OS is NetBSD
6.0.

I have used pkgsrc packaged Latex on NetBSD successfully for *many* years
with nominal deployment effort. However in more recent times (12 to 36
months) there has been frustration with the packagers accessing tex-live
sources. I believe the issue was/is source being provided only by a
non-versioned URL. eg http://domain.com/tex-live.tgz vs
http://domain.com/tex-live-20130115.tgz which in turn prevented packagers
from providing assurance that the package deployment is the same as the
validated sources, since the sources would change under the same url. I
only know that was a coordination pain point, not sure the current status.

What is the tex-live charter with regard to coordinating with other groups
for downstream (re)packaging of tex-live source code?

With regard to the issues described here. If you can help by identifying
missing components or relevant configuration files; I can probably move
through the next steps. My big frustration now is I don't understand the
natural way for the components to integrate. Makes identifying faults
difficult!!

In any event my interest is in using the software again, asap. So now I'm
trying the method described at tug.org,
http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
and
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz

per instructions I extract install-tl-unx.tar.gz and run the enclosed
installer.

/install-tl-20130115 ./install-tl
xzdec: not found
./install-tl: Initialization failed (in setup_unix_one):
./install-tl: could not find a usable xzdec.
./install-tl: Please install xzdec and try again.
./install-tl: Goodbye.

as it happens there is no xzdec or wget in my base system; nor is there any
guidance as to the software dependencies of install-tl-unx.tar.gz (other
than run time errors); however "xz" and "wget" where easily installed when
identified and the install is proceeding.

I have a fast connection but it would seem there are 2137 things to
download after disabling most foreign language support (after 40 packages
the estimate is 6 more hours of downloads)

>> I'm not able to use the font. Can someone give me guidance as to the
>
> Because the Helvetica fonts are commercial and not shipped with TeX Live.
> Simply use the TeX Gyre Heros or URF Helvetica fonts instead.

That is confusing. Before the above mentioned pkgsrc tex-live issues, I
would install tex-helvetic and use
\renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}
\usepackage{helvet}

according to the sources I have today, Helvetica would seem to be
freely available from Adobe, and available via tug/texlive? Here is the
package description and the corresponding directories from this install

Information for
http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/6.0/All/tex-helvetic-2010.21993.tgz
:
This package provides Adobe Helvetica fonts.
Homepage:
http://www.tug.org/texlive/

# find share/ -type d
share/
share/texmf-dist
share/texmf-dist/dvips
share/texmf-dist/dvips/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts
share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm
share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/adobe
share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/adobe/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw
share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/map
share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips
share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/adobe
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/adobe/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/cspsfonts-adobe
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/cspsfonts-adobe/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/monotype
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/monotype/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/urw35vf
share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/urw35vf/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1
share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw
share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/adobe
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/adobe/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/cspsfonts-adobe
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/cspsfonts-adobe/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/monotype
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/monotype/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/urw35vf
share/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/urw35vf/helvetic
share/texmf-dist/tex
share/texmf-dist/tex/latex
share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/helvetic

Can you clarify? Is this incorrect packaging and/or licensing info?

In my template files I have
%
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/59403/what-font-packages-are-installed-in-tex-live
which indicates it's available too.

> For TeX Gyre Heros it would be
> \usepackage{tgheros}

I'm not seeing that as a component of my pkgsrc tex-live install. Will try
with the tex-live installed directly from tug, when it's ready.

>> what can be done for quick execution today and also how best to patch
>> these packages so they work without modification when they are
>> installed.
>
> THere is no need to patch any packages. You have to have the Adobe
> Helvetica fonts installed and available to TeX to use them.

I do respect the importance of software licensing and tracking
of appropriate use. My company uses a system where we must declare the
license and version of original sources, the license, version and original
source is then stored in a DB for auditing.

Given the challenges in recent history to re-package tex-live so that it
can be deployed via the native OS package manager, at least pkgsrc, can you
recommend a method to smooth out that process?

Best regards,
-George

--
George Georgalis, (415) 894-2710, http://www.galis.org/