[tex-live] TeXlive is too big: how too switch from the full scheme to a smaller scheme

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Feb 28 01:50:20 CET 2013

On 2013-02-28 at 07:54:48 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > Hi
 >
 > tired of this discussion:
 >
 > On Di, 26 Feb 2013, Hendrik Maryns wrote:
 > > culprit is the documentation and second the source.  I removed the
 > > source folders, which gives me some solace for now, but makes tlmgr
 > > spit out errors (ah well).
 >
 > Well, you could have done
 > 	tlmgr option docfiles 0

Before I don't install the documentation because there is not enough
space for TeX Live on any disk partition, I would rather consider to
extend disk space by simply inserting a USB stick.

An 8 GB stick is enough for a complete TeX Live installation.

On Windows it's probably not an option because USB sticks don't use a
filesystem cache and thus everything is extremely slow.  On all other
systems this approach is reasonable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25