[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Feb 16 12:19:24 CET 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:40:25AM +0100, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le vendredi 15/02/13 à 22h15,
> Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl> a écrit :
>
> > Windows users also expect file associations, menu shortcuts and an
> > uninstaller. That is what the postinstalls provide.
> >
> > For our university, the windows installation is on the network, and
> > an `installer' script provides all the stuff that windows users seem
> > unable to do without. It uses the same Perl modules and subs as the
> > tlmgr postaction commands. I published a version of this script at
> > http://www.tug.org/texlive/w32client.html
>
> Nice!
>
> Practically, is it used only by users who bring their own laptop (in
> such a case, how do they connect on your local network: by WiFi?) or
> also by the others who are using the computers of your university and
> who test TL installation on them?
> --
> Denis

It is intended for students and staff when they use university
computers. In general, laptops have wifi access to the internet but
not to the local network.

Many students do bring their laptops and make use of the fast
university internet connection to install TL on their laptops, which
wastes a lot of class time.

I provide a separate installer just for the university add-ons, but
I do not think it is used much, except by myself when some
computer-shy staff member wants me to install LaTeX on their new
laptop.

For the next LaTeX introduction, I guess I better prepare some usb
sticks with the tlnet installer and packages, to waste less time
with lengthy internet installs.

--
Siep Kroonenberg