[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:39:12 CET 2013

2013/2/15 Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr>:
> Le vendredi 15/02/13 à 15h10,
> Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> > Do you mean the /installed/ updated tree or the updated
>> > (complete) /installer/. IMHO, the latter would be, though longer,
>> > pedagogically better.
>> >
>> I mean installed tree, this is what I often do.
>
> Why not the installer? It could be useful for users to know how
> to /install/ TL (at least as long as a complete installation will be
> necessary at each TL release).
>
>> However, if you have svn working copy, you should be able to build
>> your own iso image with the updated packages.
>
> In such a case, maybe an .iso file would maybe not be necessary and
> providing a "mounted" version of it would make students life easier (I
> have no idea if copying the monolithic .iso file takes significantly
> less time than copying its "mounted" version).
> --
Copying a lot of small files may be longer than copying one large
file. It will depend on the target filesystem, its caching and on the
source from which it is copied. Anyway, once you know how to build the
installer from the svn working copy it is up to you whether you will
provide the mounted version or an iso image.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/