[tex-live] texmf-dist -> texmf for TL'13

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 9 04:01:31 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 09:59:44PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:

> It is not a mistake.  I liked Markus's suggestion of texmf-dist because
> "texmf-dist" can refer to "distribution stuff" (ie, what we distribute),
> just as "texmf-var" refers to "variable stuff", "texmf-local" means
> "local stuff", etc.  It has a certain symmetry, where just plain "texmf"
> inevitably can mean anything.

My preference is "texmf-dist":
* It is already in use for the main distribution stuff for
  many, many years (decades).
* The HOMETEXMF is already named "texmf". With different names
  the trees can easier distinguished:
    texmf-dist, texmf-local, texmf (home)
* For documentation writers and readers it should be easier to write
  and understand, if the different trees have different names.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek