[tex-live] utf-8 encoding in outline

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 19 17:57:29 CET 2013

On 19.12.2013 03:46, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>> Ulrikes suggestion works fine for me
>> no idea though why the unicode options is not needed
>
> Jonathan's xdvipdfmx transforms UTF-8 into UTF16BE with BOM
> in outlines by default.

The problem is that not everything is Unicode in the PDF specification,
there are byte strings and other encodings.

Thus the warning
  "Failed to convert input string to UTF16..."
has to be ignored. The only safe encoding is ASCII
with XeTeX.

In case of XeTeX hyperref uses more or less option `pdfencoding=auto'.
That means, Unicode bookmarks are enabled by default. It is not
necessary to specify the option `pdfencoding' or `unicode', but it is
not wrong.

As far as I could see, the provided example provides correct bookmarks.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek