[tex-live] Is pdftex developed in TeX Live?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 19 00:53:57 CET 2013

On 2013-12-17 at 10:20:16 +0100, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

 > On Tue, 17 Dec 2013, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 > > I'm currently investigating how to create valid PDF/A-1b files with
 > > LuaTeX.  Since LuaTeX is based on pdfTeX, it inherited the linebreak
 > > problems.
 >
 > Hi Reinhard,
 >
 > not true, LuaTeX always writes a linebreak after "obj" and before
 > "endobj".  I have just updated the TeX Live repository (r32428)
 > such that pdftex does the same.

Hi Peter,
good to know that my assumption was wrong.  I must admit that I only
compiled the testfiles shipped with pdfx.sty with pdfTeX and sent the
PDF files to two online PDFA validators.

There were a few error messages about metadata and color profiles.
Instead of continuing with pdfTeX or LuaTeX, I'm playing with
Ghostscript now because it seems that I can create a valid PDFA much
easier this way.  And since I have to implement PDFA in Lua, it's
quite helpful to have a valid PDFA file so that I can see how it is
constructed.  The main problem is that I'm not familiar with color
management at all.

Unfortunately everything is time-consuming.  One PDFA validator has a
nice web interface but the other one accepts files by email and sends
its results as email attachments.  The latter is more picky, hence I
can't avoid it though it's quite inconvenient.

Anyway, it's good to know that LuaTeX supports ISO-19005 compliant
linebreaks already, all the other problems can be solved at Lua level.
Hopefully.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25