[tex-live] enquiry regarding Ukrainian "і" encoded as Latin "i" in Latex

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 18:03:44 CET 2013

On 2 December 2013 13:55, Semen Trygubenko / Семен Тригубенко <
semen at trygub.com> wrote:

> Dear Members of tex-live at tug.org,
>
> I'm having the following problem with inputenc package:
> Ukrainian letter "і" is substituted with Latin "i" during compilation.
> Letters look identical so it is not a problem for displaying text, but
> it makes it hard to search inside the generated pdf using conventional
> means.
>
> Here's the illustration:
>
> test.tex :
> --
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> прив(і)т
>
> \end{document}
> --
>
> latex test.tex
>
> produces test.dvi . Inspection of test.dvi will reveal that the word is
> encoded correctly but the letter that I parenthesised
> appears as "(i)", i.e. it is incorrectly encoded.
>
> Could you please help me fix it or point me to someone who could help
> further?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Semen Trygubenko
>

> --
> Семен Тригубенко http://trygub.com

Hi,

the texlive team can only distribute what is in the LaTeX distribution, so
the place to report problems with inputenc is the latex bug database at

http://latex-project.org/bugs.html

However looking at the T2A encoding that you are using

texdoc encguide page 23

I only see one i character. Perhaps I missed something? Is there a
character representing i in T2A ?

Classic TeX has to make compromises to fit everything into 256-character
fonts, you can get more natural unicode encodings in the generated file by
using xelatex or lualatex.

David