[tex-live] tlmgr 2013 for OS X | undefined PATH in TLUtils.pm

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Aug 24 20:31:37 CEST 2013

On Aug 24, 2013, at 11:19 , Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Steffen Kassner wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> please ignore if already known (I'm not a subscriber to the list):
>>
>> I found some odd error message in my logs:
>>> Can't exec "sysctl": No such file or directory at /usr/local/texlive/2013/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 302.
>
> Fixed, thanks for reporting. (It didn't occur to me that sysctl might
> not be in PATH when I suggested to use this particular code.)

It's in the default /etc/paths file, so /usr/sbin should be searched
unless a user has modified it or (re)set PATH by some other means.
In other words, your expectation wasn't unreasonable!

Since it was mentioned, TeX Live Utility uses /etc/paths to set up
its environment, so it's insulated from most of the abominations
that users inflict on themselves via .profile and so forth :).

The reinstall problem that Steffen mentioned is unrelated to this,
and as far as I know is an artifact of the design of tlmgr.

Adam