[tex-live] MacTeX -- xpdf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Apr 25 00:47:04 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-24 at 07:49:57 -0400, John Collins wrote:

 > On 4/23/13 5:45 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > >
 > > Well, the very first thing we did after he bought the laptop was to
 > > install macports in order to get a recent release of subversion.
 > > Collaboration would be very difficult without access to the SVN server
 > > on my Raspberry Pi at home.
 > >
 > > I already installed xpdf, created a symlink pdftops -> xpdf-pdftops, but
 > > got errormessages about missing fonts when running my script.  Because
 > > he needs his machine in order to write his thesis and I can't login
 > > remotely ATM, I couldn't investigate and I simply ran the script on my
 > > machine.  Maybe we have to install ssh as well.
 >
 > You are probably getting messages about missing Base-14 fonts
 > (Times-Roman, Helvetica, etc).  This is because the xpdfrc file
 > installed in /opt/local/etc by MacPorts is incorrect.  The lines
 > specifying the mapping of the Base-14 fonts are commented out.
 >
 > Merely uncommenting these lines won't work because they give the wrong
 > path to the pfb files.  To get them to work, the following procedure
 > should work:
 >
 > 1.  Install the MacPorts package urw-fonts, if it is not already installed.
 >
 > 2. Uncomment the lines beginning #displayFontT1 in /opt/local/etc/xpdfrc
 > by removing the initial # character.
 >
 > 3. In these lines, change /opt/local/share/ghostscript/fonts/ to
 > /opt/local/share/fonts/urw-fonts/
 >
 > Alternatively, you could adjust the path for the pfb files to use the
 > path for the fonts installed with MacTeX's ghostscript.  (What you need
 > to do is find the locations of files named n021003l.pfb etc.)
 >
 > After there is an update of xpdf in MacPorts, you'll probably find you
 > need to make the above change to xpdfrc again.

Thank you, John.  I'll try it ASAP.

BTW, I tried latexmk (from TL-2012) with lualatex a few days ago but
encountered a problem.  It obviously expects a DVI file but lua[la]tex
produces PDF nowadays.  In order to produce DVI one has to use
dvilua[la]tex.  And with the -pdf option it unconditionally calls
pdflatex.

At the beginning there was [pdf]luatex indeed but some time ago Taco
decided to make PDF output the default and provided [dvi]luatex.

latexmk complains about the missing DVI file but gratefully doesn't
run into an endless loop in order to create it.  But I have the
impression that it costs an extra run at least.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25