[tex-live] TL13 status

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:17:00 CEST 2013

2013/4/10 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>> And what about your motivation to not only talk about things but
>> actually _do_ something?
>
> Since taking early retirement five years ago, I am now approximately
> five times busier than I ever was when I was gainfully employed.
> I am therefore not only doing /something/, I am doing a great many
> things, all at the same time, and one of them (a very small part)
> is to contribute some ideas as to how TeX Live might evolve over
> time.

Suppose that version 1.0 of somepackage is released and this-tex
distribution includes it. It will only accept bug fixes numbered 1.1,
1.2 etc. In the meantime a new feature is implemented and somepackage
released at version 2.0 while bug fixes 1.x are still available. At
that time that-tex maintainers decide to include somepackage v.2.0. A
that-tex user prepares a document and sends the source file to a
this-tex user who will not be able to use it because it requires
somepackage 2.0 but only 1.x is allowed (per definition) to be
included in this-tex. Do you think it is a good idea to create such
portability issues? Or would you like to force maintainers of all TeX
distributions to have the same release date?

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/