[tex-live] perl or lua standard library modules in texlive

Michael Palmer mpalmer at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 21 20:58:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've got a technical question concerning executable scripts in TeXLive
packages.

I have uploaded a Python program (mol2chemfig) as a package to CTAN.
This program converts chemical structures in molfile or SMILES format
to TeX code in the syntax defined by the chemfig package (which is in
TeXLive).

I would like to make mol2chemfig fit for TeXLive also. However, on
http://tug.org/texlive/pkgcontrib.html, it says that only Perl and Lua
are supported by TeXLive, and that these two interpreters are supplied
with TeXLive itself.

Because of third party library dependencies, converting mol2chemfig
entirely to Perl or Lua is not an option. However, there is also a
thin client version of mol2chemfig that simply takes user input from
the command line and hands it off to my server. This is a small script
and could in principle be translated to perl or lua; however, the
translated versions would require standard library modules for parsing
command line input and making HTTP requests.

Could anyone give me, or point me to, information on what standard
library (or other potentially useful) modules are available to the
perl or lua interpreters in TeXLive? Does this vary with the platform?
If any essential modules are missing, could I add them to my package?

If there are any examples / tutorials for how to create perl or lua
packages for TeXLive, pointers to those would be welcome, too.

Thanks, Michael

--
Michael Palmer
University of Waterloo