[tex-live] Integrating vanilla TeX Live with Debian

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Sep 13 15:05:14 CEST 2012

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012, simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk wrote:
> > > The texlive-local does not seen to do much. Shouldn't it suppress
> > > synaptic/... from wanting/allowing the installation of the distro's
> > > packages?
> >
> > Not necessarily.
>
> What is it supposed to do then?

To not force installation if a package depending on texlive-* is
installed.

The whole point is that if one installs for example
	texmaker
or any other editor that recommends some of the texlive-packages,
that these packages are *not* automatically installed.

But it was never the aim to stop installing both ...

> Isn't it supposed to prevent one from inadvertently stomping on the tl
> packages?

THere will be anyway no interference if you do it properly.

The only reason is here to make apt believe that a full TeX system
is installed.

> The problem would seem to be that whilst we can traverse the dependency tree
> using apt-cache, but have no way of knowing what is actually on the DVD. This
> is because the names and contents of the distro's packages can't be
> guaranteed to line up with what they might be called in the DVD.

Then why don't you simply forget it and live with the Debian packages?
They are anyway about as new as TeX Live...
What are you trying to solve?? That would be very helpful if you
could specify that instead of theoreticizing ...

Norbert
(asking myself why people without experience try to make things
they probably never need - stupid upgraditis)

Norbert Preining                preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan                                   TeX Live and Debian Developer
gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094