[tex-live] "why is tex live so big"

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Oct 24 03:20:45 CEST 2012

Folks,

Karl is absolutely correct. BasicTeX installs exactly the "small" scheme for
TeX Live as of 2012. Earlier versions of BasicTeX did the same
thing in a more ad hoc way until Karl offered to create a scheme that did
exactly what we wanted.

When the 2012 version of BasicTeX was created, I revised the
documentation in the MacTeX build directory. Sadly, the new version
of the documentation never made it to my web site, which is also
linked from tug.org/mactex. Now the web site has the correct
documentation.

The MacTeX web page has one error. BasicTeX no longer contains
ConTeXt, because the ConTeXt people offer their own minimal
distribution for it, called the "ConTeXt suite."

Dick Koch