[tex-live] how to Clean uninstall TL2011

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 11:46:27 CEST 2012

2012/10/16 George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM, roy.nico <roy.nico at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> I had TL2011 and I installed TL2012. Can I simply remove
>> /usr/local/texlive/2011 ?
>
> Assuming you did not use symlinks for TL2011, yes.   If you did use
> symlinks, there is a possibility that some dangling links could
> remain.  There may also be $HOME/.texlive2011
> trees in your users' home directories.

If the symlinks were created by TL2012, deletion of the TL2011 tree is
safe. If the symlinks were created by TL2011 and nut by TL2012, after
deletion TL will cease to work. In such a case it is necessary to use
tlmgr from TL2011 and remove the symlinks (or do it manually). If you
do not know whether you have symlinks, you can try
which tex

and

ls -l `which tex`

to see where to symlinks point.