[tex-live] a question about when gets the TL database refreshed in mirrors

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat Oct 6 19:57:26 CEST 2012

Le 6 oct. 2012 à 19:44, Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> a écrit :

> before offering any more opinions, i need to know what problem packages
> you are noticing, and what mirror you have problems with.
>
> (i assume you know that the _package_ being on a mirror is not a
> sufficient condition for the tl image of the package being on that
> mirror.)
>
> Robin Fairbairns
>
> For the CTAN team

Hi Robin,

my OP was indeed triggered from noticing that quite a few packages/updates
were on mirrors (the specific mirro I tested was ftp.oleane.net) but
not making their way via tlmgr to my computer. I asked what was the
expected delay.

I take the example of package loops

CTAN Announcements
Mon, 01 Oct 2012 08:36:17 -0700

this package is indeed in the CTAN mirror I queried, but it is not there
in the TeX Live database. Not knowing when the package made its way
into this mirror, I can not really estimate the delay I was asking about.

Perhaps it just surfaced into the mirror last night and perhaps tlmgr will
see it tomorrow. I don't know.

This is new package so I guess the situation in case of update of
an already included in TL package could be otherwise. I gather nevertheless
from what I have read that the copying from CTAN to TeXLive, even in the
case of updates is not a completely automated process.

Actually your last answer is a case in point:

> when karl is back working on this, there's more than just packaging to
> do: tex live does not support fonts that are only commercially
> available, and the new mathdesign has added support for >=2 commercial
> fonts, so karl will have to determine how he deals with this situation.
>
> Robin Fairbairns
>
> For the CTAN team

Thanks for all the info on the inner workings of the TeXLive distribution.

Best,

Jean-Francois